hopRSS

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Examining Information Concerning korean dramas



In Chinese, we use xiong or ge to refer to an elder brother. As a young kid growing up in somewhat westernised Singapore, in a household of only boys, I accepted at confront worth the use of these phrases to refer to an elder brother - my two youthful siblings use the Min'nan pronunciation of hia to refer to me, and my mother has always been very very pleased that they did not use the "much less respectful" gor. Curiously, even though we talk primarily in English, my brothers will still use the Chinese honorific when they tackle me.

Then as I grew older, and acquired into the grownup environment (and particularly immediately after arriving right here in China), I started to realize that ge can also be utilized as a expression of endearment by a female to refer to a man she likes or respects (at times "like" and "respect" are interchangeable, in Asian cultures). From my Korean pupils, I see that in action, and it was confirmed by the Korean dramas that I watched - Korean gals will use the expression oppa to tackle a beloved man older than her.

I also realize some Malay, but have by no means heard the Malays use abang in the very same way. Therefore, it was very puzzling for me when a feminine Indonesian colleague (the Indonesian and Malay languages are close dialects of every single other) insisted on calling me kakak (elder sister in Malay). I had to retain "correcting" her, telling her I need to be abang, but she insisted Indonesians use kakak to generically refer to all elder siblings. And due to the fact my Malay is nowhere around everywhere far better than basic, I had to take what she stated, albeit with concern marks all over my head.

It was afterwards, when I acquired to know a youthful Indonesian man (father or mother of my pupil, who has due to the fact turn into a pal) who refers to me as abang, that the mystery was settled. I asked him about the abang/kakak issue, and he laughed and told me that Indonesian gals use the expression abang to refer to an older man whom they like or respect, similar to how Korean gals would use that expression. I laughed with him as I realised abruptly why my unmarried Indonesian colleague absolutely refused to phone me abang!

It is excellent to are living in a multilingual environment!

Obtain the newest news on korean dramas once you check out my blog about korean drama currently!



No comments:

Post a Comment